Miscellaneous Photos from Seaboard History

Click on any image to see larger version


raft1t  Flight and cabin crewmembers in ditching training, during the late 1950s or early 1960s.
 Capt. Ike Battern, with the life vest, and "Salty" Halls are in the back right.
 Capt. Niles Grover is in the front right.

 Photo courtesy of Capt. Jim Mathis

soap_box_derby_car-t.jpg Winner of 1956 Irish Soap-Box Derby being unloaded at Idlewild after a flight from Shannon, Ireland.
It was enroute to the 1956 All-American Soap Box Derby in Akron, Ohio.

Its driver was 14-year-old Alan Murray who beat over 80 contestants in the Irish Soap Box Derby that year.
 

as_str227t  Loading a C-46 at Stuttgart the old-fashioned way, one box at a time.

 Photo courtesy of Asgar Stegbauer

donkeyt  Two cargo carriers; a DC-4 and a donkey cart.

 Photo from Seaboard archive

dc8_forklift-t  Loading a DC-8 with a forklift.

 Seaboard photo courtesy of Capt. David Hill

w418t  Throughout its history, Seaboard evaluated new aircraft for possible addition to the fleet.
 In the 1950s, they evaluated the Bristol Britannia, an early turboprop.
 They did not buy the Britannia but they did buy the Canadair CL-44 which was a development of the Britannia.

 Here, Carl Brell, Seaboard's Vice-President Operations, is seen flying a Britannia at the Bristol Aeroplane Company plant in the U.K.  

dc8-63_charter_1  N8637 at Minneapolis for charter, June 2, 1972

 Photo by Thomas Amross, DTW Cargo Agent; courtesy of Mike Bradish




Upgrading to the Connie, 1954


mp921t  back row - Instructor, Bill Callanan, Harry Newman, Jim Ritter, Will Volkman

 front row - Mike Wojciechowski, Joe Marshall, Bill Eastwood, Red Herzberg

 Photo courtesy of Capt. Bill Eastwood

mp928t  Instructor, George Forero, Jim Ritter, Bill Callanan, Instructor

 Photo courtesy of Paul J. Ritter, Jr.




Cargo Facility at JFK

w580t  Early traffic/warehouse facility - probably at Idlewild. Bill Tierney is on the right.

 Seaboard photo courtesy of Lois Farella

bldg260t  Architect's drawing of Building 260 at JFK. The building was finished in 1966.




Photos courtesy of Asgar Stegbauer, Station Manager - Stuttgart


as_jfk427t  Truck with Seaboard graphics at Building 260 loading dock

as_jfk443t  Cargo facility with rollers to facilitate moving freight

as_jfk439t  Loading a particularly long piece of freight onto a DC-8

hangar3t  Hangar 3, the final location where Seaboard maintenance was done. The two-story brick buildings
 on either side were used for parts, maintenance and overhaul shops, and training, including
 ground‑school for flight crewmembers, in the building on the right between Hanger 3 and Hangar 4.

 Seaboard began doing its own maintenance on its DC-4s in Hangar 1 on December 1, 1955.
 On October 1, 1956, they leased half of Hangar 9 and started doing their own Connie maintenance. 


Reproduction of any material on this Web site is prohibited without prior written consent

home_page.gif