This photo shows Capt. Carl Brell, second from the right, taking delivery of a new P-51 Mustang for the U.S. Army Air Corps in 1943. The employees of the Packard aircraft division that built the engine each donated 2½ hours of labor to pay for the airplane and engine.
Taking part in the ceremony are (left to right) George T. Christopher, president of Packard; Lt. Col. Stanford Chester, who accepted the airplane; Capt Brell, who was selected to fly the airplane into action; and Sam Kerr, a Packard employee with five sons in the Army, who formally presented the airplane to the Army on behalf of his fellow employees.
Back of Photo